Knife & Sheath

First item in my camping gear is a knife basically for food preparation and for whatever cutting needs to be done around the camp.


I bought this kitchen knife from a thrift store for $1.00. It is stainless steel 7" OAL and 2 5/8" blade with a hard plastic handle.


The tip of the blade is broken perhaps it was used to pry open something. If you zoom in to the picture you will see from its marking in the blade near the handle that it is made in Japan. That is what made me decide to buy it. It needs sharpening too.


Using a flat file, I fixed the broken tip of the blade. The tip is still somewhat round so I will make it a bit more pointed later on.


The knife sharpened and stropped. It now cuts paper very easily. It feels very comfortable in my hands.

My next project will be a plastic coffee can sheath. For now, a cardboard and duct tape sheath will do.


The finished sheath with shoestring attached for neck carry.


It looks big in the picture but it really is small, ideal size for a neck knife.

That's all folks! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment